Thursday, April 3, 2008

Fengshui and Fees

I spoke to an old colleague today who asked me to do something with that 'dial' of mine. By dial she meant my old trusty luopan or fengshui compass. She hinted that i do a fengshui read for her office. In the course of our chat, I just mentioned that I do charge for 'turning that dial of mine'. and that I charge more for dialing that for being a building professional.

She was a little surprised that I charge. She does not know it but I do have a pledge to keep. One of my teachers has charged me to expect to be paid simply because it is the way things should be and also out of respect for the patron gods of the art.

I have my own reason for charging. As in all energy works there must be an exchange. It is only through an exchange that things really begins to move and work. The economists have a term for it. They call it the multiplier effect.

An exchange can be in any form or size. The red packet or 'angpau' serves the purpose in old china as a token of appreciation. The poor offers what they can afford although I would hardly think that the poor has the means to engage a diviner to poke around their property or lack of it.

On another note, the ordinary peasant folks can engage a trance diviner and I have seen some and heard of many who are pretty impressive. I know of one who could do distant fengshui divining, drawing out sketches of the property being consulted. And all for a small 'angpau'!

On the point about paying for divining services. What we actually pay for is the time of the diviner and I adopt the truth that even diviners have bills to pay. Most of the time, the angpau received barely covers the cost of time, petrol and toll especially so when follow up assessments are taken into account.

No comments: